Safety Certificate Inspections


Safety Certificates, Roadworthy Certificates and Vehicle inspections in Brisbane.

Athena Automatics are the Authorised Queensland Safety Certificate Inspection centre for Tingalpa, Wynnum, Wakerley and surrounding areas.

If you want to maintain the safety of your vehicle, as well as authorised safety certificates we also offer 65 Point Vehicle Inspection reports or fully comprehensive 150 point Vehicle inspections which are perfect for pre-purchase reports, end of warranty checks, or long road trip preparation.

The Athena Automatics professional team are always happy to discuss your inspection requirements with you - Call us , Or Book Online Today.

What is a Vehicle Inspection?

A Safety Inspection is when a qualified mechanic visually checks over your vehicle to check it for safety and roadworthiness, identifies any areas that may be unsafe or due for replacement, and gives you a written outcome - either a certificate or a report. Some inspections are voluntary which you might get as a report on the current condition of your car and to let you know what services might be needed in the near future allowing you to plan accordingly. Sometimes you will need an inspection for legal requirements such as for a Queensland road safety certificate.

When do I need a Safety certificate or Roadworthy in Queensland ?

In Queensland, it is the law that you must obtain a roadworthy/safety certificate if you want to sell a vehicle. Before advertising your car, motorbike, trailer, or any light vehicle for sale you must show a Safety Certificate, or you could receive an on the spot fine.


There are some exceptions from this such as:

  • If the vehicle is being sold in an exempt area.
  • If the vehicle is being sold to a beneficiary of a deceased estate.
  • If the vehicle is being sold between spouses, including separated spouses.
  • If the vehicle is being sold in remote locations.

For private sellers, safety certificates may be used for one transfer of registration provided they are within the two months or 2000-kilometre limit, whichever comes first. You need to get a new safety certificate each time you sell the vehicle even if it is within the two months or 2000 kilometres.


You cannot use a single safety certificate for two transfers.


Please remember the information on this page is not a total list of exemptions or rules, for more information about Queensland safety certificates phone the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80



Mechanics wanted!

Our busy mechanical workshop in Tingalpa is looking for a Motor Mechanic/Technician and 3rd or 4th year apprentice Motor Mechanic. Please see the Job Adverts for more details.


Specialist Car Services